Saturday, February 28, 2015

One Nations Trash is one's Nation Energy Supply

This last week, as the temperature outside began to near freezing, my family and I began to use our fireplace in order to heat the house. So we began to take papers that we had accumulated over the year from school classes and useless mail in order to start the fire. This was the only way I had ever tried to convert trash into energy, and it interested me when I was looking in the Guardian website for an article to read and write about that this one was one of the top stories. There were links for other websites, invitations to join the website as well as other various environmental articles but this one with its title and picture enticed me to click on it and the moment I opened the Web page, the title compelled me to read it more  and the image helped me get a better picture of exactly how much trash they were referring too and what that meant for the future and the production of Biofuel.



The article I read was about using industry waste, farm trash and household garbage in order to create biofuel as an alternate fuel. I believe this would a great idea instead of just further piling up trash upon trash in dumping zones, the trash we use can be used to benefit our economy instead being a burden. Also, with the increased production of this biofuel, it will help the United Kingdom economy by providing over 36,000 jobs to the country. This article was based in Europe and so the improvements don't necessarily involve the United States or where I leave but I believe that this change in the way waste us used can be simply the start. Like a rippling effect when you drop a stone in a pond.  Not only that, but based on predictions from the report, this conversion of waste into Biofuel will save around 37 metric tons of oil use annual by 2030. I wasn't sure what exactly that meant so I decided to look up a visual and was shocked by how much we would be saving. It's like saying that we could save 37 adult elephants from dying for simply using biofuel than normal fuel. As if just those two statistics weren't great enough reasons to support these policy changes in the UK, the International Council on Clean Transportation also states that by doing this, it could replace 16% of the continent road transport fuel in the same year. This number may not seem impressive but I believe every little bit counts and that some percent of change and improvement is better than none. I believe that these statistics and possibilities of improvement not only economically but environmentally would be worth any sacrifice but many European People's Party (EPP) believe that the proposed goals are too ambitious. That they won't be accomplished in the time given, but the pro-thinkers and supporters state that the technology for reaching the goal is out there and created, it only simply must be utilized. I'm not sure why such a a proposal hasn't been presented here in the United States. But then I think about it and how much companies in United States are not very environmentally conscious. And in order to be so, these big companies might have to make changes to their policy and re-examine ways in which they carry out the production of their products. I was not a big fan of how this article and it's information was presented because alot of the information I read was more discussion than what really has happened. It spoke about the possible results of the changes but not necessarily how they were going to make the changes or what specific details in the proposal were so hard for the opposers to accept. In the article it is mentioned that neither party was going to accept the mutual agreement over the production and use of biofuel but did not really explain what mutual agreement was created, what it entailed,  and why create one if neither side likes the mutual agreement. I did enjoy reading the article but I believe that it could of been expanded more into details about the proposal and maybe some history on what they had done prior.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/17/biofuel-from-trash-could-create-green-jobs-bonanza-says-report

No comments:

Post a Comment